List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: to Xinerama or not Xinerama -that- is the Question
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2005-02-21 14:03:39

On Tuesday 15 of February 2005 22:21, Aaron Seigo wrote:
> On February 15, 2005 14:21, Linus McCabe wrote:
> > Personally, I'd like to use a mixture of xinerama and dual x sessions.
> > Ie, Id like to be able to drag windows between the monitors, but i wish
> > the virtual desktops were individual, so i could have one desktop on one
> > monitor, while switching to another desktop on the other one.
>
> ug. that'd be ugly to implement. really ugly, if even at all really
> possible given that the mechanics of this is pretty much hidden by X. but
> Lubos Lunak would know more about it. and even if kwin could get it
> working, pagers and whatnot that operate under the assumption of "same
> desktop" would likely break.

 It might be technically doable, or it might not. Xinerama is just one monitor
screen split to two (or more) monitors. Allowing such feature would bring up
a lot of "interesting" problems like what happens with windows that are
partially on the left and partially on the right screen - are they on both
virtual desktops? And of course all existing tools would most probably get it
wrong without making of them aware of such functionality.

 It might be simpler to implement such functionality using some other way,
e.g. Ion-like splits.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer