List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: "Niceness" for network transfers
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-02-19 2:20:10

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Rainer Wirtz wrote:
>I want to have kget make the best possible use of the limited bandwidth,
>but when konqueror or firefox request a html-page I want this to be
>handled as fast as possible.

If that's "all" you want, then we can do this:

- make kio_http set the option for minimum delay by default
- make it possible for kget to pass an option so that kio_http sets
maximum throughput
- make kio_ftp always set maximum throughput

Then we will have done all that we can on our side. We will leave for the
administrator to properly set up prioritising rules.

By the way, controlling what the Internet sends us is a lot more difficult
than controlling what we send.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:

4. And æfter se scieppend ingelogode, he wrát "cenn", ac eala! se
rihtendgesamnung andswarode "cenn: ne wát hú cennan 'eall'. Ástynt."