List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: "Niceness" for network transfers
From:       Rainer Wirtz <rainer.wirtz () gmx ! de>
Date:       2005-02-19 2:01:56

Am Freitag, 18. Februar 2005 18:58 schrieb Thiago Macieira:
> Rainer Wirtz wrote:

> >This would leave unsolved the problem of how to find out when there
> > are other transfers that you (read: my application) wants to grant
> > priority. Maybe wondershaper has find a good trick for that. Idealy
> > this would work for non-kde applications as well. I'll have a look.
>
> Huh? If the application doesn't know what it wants prioritised, who
> will?

I want to have kget make the best possible use of the limited bandwidth,
but when konqueror or firefox request a html-page I want this to be
handled as fast as possible. When this should be done by kget
throttling it's read rate from the slave, then kget needs to know
somehow when there is a http-request pending.
It has to be done on kernel level, this "wondershaper" script is calling
"tc", which is only available on linux AFAIK and makes use of the
various QoS features. Maybe kget could make those calls, or a small
utility with a DCOP interface. Of course this is a question of
permissions. Sysadmins don't necessary want users to tamper with their
bandwidth management settings.
Further "wondershaper" is limiting the bandwidth to slightly below the
interface bandwidth to keep the buffers in the modem and on the ISP
side empty. I would need to find a way to find out those values, kind
of autotuning.
I need to do more reading on this, but I have a direction now.

Rainer