List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Network status
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-02-15 12:09:17

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 15 February 2005 03:37, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Nathan Toone wrote:
> >Is there a class that one could use to find network status (ip address,
> > or even if your machine is connected or not)?
>
> I plan to write a class for the former (tentatively called
> KNetworkInterface) for KDE4. So it doesn't exist yet. However, I think
> other people have done so already -- check Konversation.
>
> Detecting if you're connected or not is not an easy task.

In kdepim a kded module for online/offline support is being developed, for
KDE4 that should move to kdelibs. Your operating system (aka distribution)
will then be able to inform it about the connection status of the various
networks and applications can query this kded module.

The machine's IP-number to use for a certain network could be part of that as
well ( as a property of the network )

Cheers,
Waldo
--