List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Questions about splitting kdebase into a plethora of packages
From:       Calvin Spealman <calvin () ironfroggy ! com>
Date:       2005-02-13 12:12:40

The problem I see with this, as a Gentoo user, is that portage has far too
limited a vocabulary for describing the relationships between packages. For
example, if Konqueror is installed because I installed the kde-meta
package, being a separate package, it will not be removed when I installed
a newer version of Konqueror (assuming different directories, as Gentoo
does). Gentoo's portage system lacks such vocabulary as "this package
includes that package" and "this package is installed implicitly for those
packages", which could be used to be a little smarted about post-install
package management issues.