List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Questions about splitting kdebase into a plethora of packages
From:       Lauri Watts <lauri () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-02-13 23:21:37

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 13 February 2005 20.54, Alejandro Exojo wrote:
> El Jueves, 10 de Febrero de 2005 21:31, Lauri Watts escribió:
> > And debian has historically generated far out of proportion numbers of
> > support issues about missing dependencies, or users not knowing what to
>
> This is not very common, but if happens, is a bug, and a user should
> understand that running debian unstable, means that _sometimes_ packages
> have bugs. (Why a debian user runs unstable, is because stable, which ships
> KDE 2.2, is pretty old for a desktop user, but this a Debian issue.)
>
> > install to get a specific item on KDE IRC channels at least.  Oddly not
> > really on the mailing lists or newsgroups, I suppose people writing mail
> > tend to direct those to the debian lists.
>
> Sorry if they disturb with distro-related problems in general channels or
> lists, feel free to point them to the debian-kde list or channel. But IMHO,

That was one of the points I was rambling about.  Debian users tend to be
amenable to being directed to distribution specific support, and the most
likely reason is because there *is* support to be gotten there.   While this
is an entirely subjective opinion, I'm not getting the same impression about
either Gentoo users, or the provision of support for them.

> the way debian packages, is very very useful: I can install just JuK,
> without to install the whole kdemultimedia, or just Kpdf without the rest
> of kdegraphics, and a big etc.

(For what it's worth, we don't package this way, splitting out only things
that are hardware specific, or have very large dependencies) and get very few
(maybe a dozen in 3-4 years) requests to do so.  And about that many saying
"thanks for not splitting things up into millions of pieces"  Users are as
distribution specific as packaging is.

Regards,
--
Lauri Watts