List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: OFF-TOPIC: enabling technology
From:       Adi <adriancapdefier () digifin ! ro>
Date:       2005-02-11 9:13:37

Vineri 11 Februarie 2005 06:27, Andy Teijelo Pérez a scris:
> Hi guys. I'me sorry I'm asking this one here, but believe me, I have
> googled a lot, I looked out in wikipedia and a in a few dictionaries here,
> but I'm not a natural english speaker and I haven't figured out what does
> "enabling technology" mean. I've been reading the "Qt for Windows released
> under GPL" thread (the use/sue typo was VERY funny) and the "enabling
> technology" phrase appears all the time: "Kontact is not an enabling
> technology on Windows" "Firefox is not an enabling technology on Windows"
> "KDE is not an enabling technology on Linux" and so on. I just don't get
> it. What does it mean? It would be ok if answered in private, to keep the
> list free of off-topics.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Andy.

> >> unsubscribe <<

"enabling technology" in the context of the heated debate over kde on linux
means that kontact does not have any significant (if any) added value to
windows because windows already has something similiar. So Windows with
Kontact will not cause anyone (a significant percent) not to switch to linux,
because they already have that. They don't have the security of linux, which,
if brought to windows and assuming it's better than microsoft's, will add
value to windows (enables some new technology if you will). That's what they
mean IMHO, not that this is also my opinion.

--
Adi