List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Questions about splitting kdebase into a plethora of packages
From:       Jason Keirstead <jason () keirstead ! org>
Date:       2005-02-11 1:35:26

On February 10, 2005 07:58 pm, Lokheed wrote:
> Yes konqueror without kio-slaves is available in the jumbled mess of
> ebuilds. They have also split each individual kio-slave to add to
> further confusion.
>
> I understand what you are saying and it has set aside my fears of
> stability as it seems KDE can handle being split into modules like this
> with the main problem being usability and missing services/features.

The solution seems pretty clear to me - do what debian has done for years, and
make some ghost ebuilds for the kde packages (kdelibs, kdebase, kdenetwork,
etc), that contain no files themselves, but rather, depend on the other
ebuilds that make up the sum of that package. Thus, if you 'emerge kdebase',
you get everyting. But if all I want is Konqueror, I can just emerge that.

--
Jason Keirstead
http://www.keirstead.org