List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QT for Windows released under GPL
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-02-09 20:13:56

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 09 February 2005 12:41, Unai Garro wrote:
> Lets explain it better: user A or company B gets KDE running on winders and
> following your argument, they love KDE... now.. what's the point of keeping
> using the winders kernel and paying for licenses, if they can get the same
> thing from linux/BSD?

given those parameters, i agree. but those aren't the parameters, so your
question is a strawman. here's why:

even with KDE as the shell on a Windows kernel, you'd still likely be able to
play games and run win32 apps that don't run on Linux/BSD, not to mention
have a wider selection of drivers. so no, you won't be able to get the same
thing from Linux/BSD kernels.

note that this is related to why MS has their Unix-on-Windows tools and why
they bandied them about so much last year (at least here in North America).
they "get it", and because they do they WANT Unix software runinng on their
platform.

whether this is a concern or not, i'll leave up to the reader. but it's at
least useful to get the dynamics of the situation correctly defined so people
can build accurate conclusions. as long as we (as a generality) consistently
misunderstand the rest of the marketplace, we will not be well equipped to
survive within it.

--
Aaron J. Seigo