List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QT for Windows released under GPL
From:       Paul Temple <paul.temple () gmx ! net>
Date:       2005-02-09 17:32:07

If anyone is interested in my opinion... ;)

If kde was available on windows, it _might_ turn some linux
people to windows, as there are some applications, but
especially drivers that don't have linux counterparts. It's
still a sad thing in linux: in order to buy a notebook I need to
check so many things to make sure linux supports all of
firewire, bluetooth, graphics (not vesa), etc... "It ain't no
fun".

But I think that would be just for the short term and just a very
small number would really switch. I, and I think most of the
users, use linux not only because of kde, though it's of course
the coolest desktop... And some people might even get attracted
to linux as they see how many great applications are available,
at least if the nice infrastructure (kio, etc.), which is the
most important thing in kde in my opinion, will be available
there, too.

And if we get to the point, where windows and linux provide the
same range of applications, people (IT decision makers, too) are
really free to decide which os they want to use. And I think in
the long term windows will loose many users then. That might be
different if the market share of linux wasn't so small, but even
then...

Linux has to solve the driver problem, that's a _real_ problem
which can't be handled by any application (not counting windows
emulators ;). And then (in the long term) linux won't loose more
people to windows than it will gain from.