List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QT for Windows released under GPL
From:       Richard Smith <kde () metafoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2005-02-07 22:56:17

On Monday 07 February 2005 15:54, Jason Keirstead wrote:
> On Monday 07 February 2005 10:43 am, Christoph Wiesen wrote:
> > Will the GPL version of QT for Windows make KDE/Win32 more likely - and
> > will it do more harm than good?
>
> I really think this is FUD. I mean, let's face it - having KDE apps
> available on Win32 is not going to change thew world. People are not going
> to switch off Explorer as their shell to use Konqueror .KDE is just never
> going to be an enabling technology for Windows, it is not required.

Myself and all my work colleagues run Windows on our workstations not because
we want to, but because we have to (for MS Outlook and MS Office, basically).
If KDE apps were available natively, I'd expect quite a few of us would run
it (I already do, via X-forwarding, which is painfully slow at times).

But I think that Aaron's right, in a sense: I would be less likely to switch
from Win32 to Linux on my workstation if KDE ran over the top of Windows. But
when I'm running KDE, with significant portions of cygwin installed, why does
it matter whether it's sitting on Win32 or Linux/X11? I'm still running
KDE/GNU, and I think that's what's important.
--
Thanks,
Richard