List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kio documentation
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-02-01 19:15:39

Am Dienstag 01 Februar 2005 19:32 schrieb Tomasz Grobelny:
> Is there any good tutorial or documentation on writing kioslaves? I tried
> to make one but have no idea how file types and attributes are handled. And
> now a few specific questions:
There is one on developer.kde.org, but it doesn't answer your pretty detailed
questions.

> 1. How does an application know (kio subsystem, whatever) if an URL is a
> directory or a file (ie. what should be called: get or listDir)? Does it
> call stat, mimetype or sth else?
It calls stat, yes.

> 2. What should stat provide? Is it ok to provide just name (the last part
> of url or whole url; in case of directories: with "/" at the end, without
> or it doesn't matter), size and mime type?
stat needs to provide all it can. That is at least a type/mode and a name.

> 3. What is the mimetype for directories? "inode/directory"?
Basically yes, but it's more important to have
     atom.m_uds = KIO::UDS_FILE_TYPE;
     atom.m_long = S_IFDIR;

> 4. Why does konqueror wait for data forever after implementing stat?
> Without this function I get "Accessing files is not supported with the
Did you call finished() in your stat ?

Greetings, Stephan