List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Endless modprobe calls logged in KDE 3.4
From:       Volker Krause <volker.krause () rwth-aachen ! de>
Date:       2005-02-01 11:24:27

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 31 January 2005 18:19, Kévin Ottens wrote:
> Le Dimanche 30 Janvier 2005 00:44, David Faure a écrit :
> > On startup kded loads all modules from newInstance(), and for some reason
> > the LinuxCDPolling thread of the mediamanager module takes a VERY long
> > time before the main thread can return from newInstance. I mean VERY. KDE
> > startup is blocked for about 10 minutes here (on the laptop).
>
> That's weird it's immediate here... Looks like a deadlock or something
> similar?

It's even worse here: The machine is completely dead, I can't even ssh login
anymore. The last thing I can see on the syslog is that the kernel has loaded
the cdrom driver. Loading the module manually before the KDE startup didn't
help, however, running cdrecord -scanbus dev=ATAPI did...

> > If I kill X
> > with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and restart it, it then works for some reason. I
> > suspect a deadlock somewhere? Not sure exactly what happens, but the
> > whole of kded is definitely blocked (even the parent kded process which
> > forked and calls newInstance()...) during all that time.
>
> I'd be interested to know if you're the only one experiencing this kind of
> deadlock.

I have two other machines here running CVS HEAD without problems, only my
laptop signals permanent cdrom activity.

regards
Volker