List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Endless modprobe calls logged in KDE 3.4
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-01-29 23:44:00

On Saturday 29 January 2005 19:24, David Jarvie wrote:
> When I run KDE 3.4 (CVS 25/1/05), it outputs the following line
> to /var/log/ksymoops, every second approximately. This occurs indefinitely,
> throughout my session until I log off.
>
>     start /sbin/modprobe -s -k -- block-major-11 safemode=1
>
> This doesn't happen under KDE 3.3.2. Note that I copied my $KDEHOME branch for
> use with KDE 3.4, so that all my config options would be kept, so there
> should be nothing different, other than that I have only installed kdelibs,
> kdebase and kdepim under KDE 3.4.

I suspect it's actually twice per second, and it's the polling done by the new
"mediamanager" KDED module (it's new, this is why you're not seeing this in 3.3.x).
I'm seeing problems with that modules too - even worse ones:

On startup kded loads all modules from newInstance(), and for some reason the
LinuxCDPolling thread of the mediamanager module takes a VERY long time
before the main thread can return from newInstance. I mean VERY. KDE startup
is blocked for about 10 minutes here (on the laptop). If I kill X with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace
and restart it, it then works for some reason. I suspect a deadlock somewhere?
Not sure exactly what happens, but the whole of kded is definitely blocked
(even the parent kded process which forked and calls newInstance()...) during
all that time.

I think this polling thread is also why the "harddisk" led of the laptop lightens
up twice per second - which btw is said to reduce the harddisk's life....

Kevin: do we really need this cd-polling thread? :/