List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Unix or UNIX?
From:       trisk () jhu ! edu
Date:       2005-01-27 2:09:17

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Malte S. Stretz wrote:

> On Wednesday 26 January 2005 09:00 CET Triskelios wrote:
>> [...]
>> The platform in general is commonly called "Unix", but there should be no
>> problems with using the name "UNIX" as referring to the target platform
>> of applications software (as opposed to calling a specific OS "UNIX").
>
> The lawyers may care, if the trademark is really "UNIX", not "Unix".  It's
> like "SPAM" vs. "Spam" -- Hormel forbids to use the former for anything not
> being "luncheon-meat" while the latter is ok for UBE.
>
> Cheers,
> Malte

My original point is in perfect agreement with yours. I'm stating
that while it's not appropriate to apply to trademark to arbitrary OS
software (the clarification is in parentheses), stating that
*application software*  "runs on UNIX" is, because that doesn't
misrepresent the meaning of the trademark. In other words, "goes well with
SPAM" does refer to a specific brand of lunch-meat.

-Trisk