List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Unix or UNIX?
From:       Jason Keirstead <jason () keirstead ! org>
Date:       2005-01-26 12:19:02

On January 26, 2005 04:50 am, Thomas Lübking wrote:
> honestly, imho this is one of the most stupid everlasting discussions - it
> just leads nowhere... (Who cares how it's written, the key aspect is that
> it just works)

It brings into the forefront a wider question - what is the standard by which,
once you surpass it, the trademark has no longer been enforced enough to be
used?

I think of this debate simmilar to how many (most?) people, including myself,
refer to all tissue as "Kleenex" and Photocopying as "Xeroxing", regardless
of the actual brand name involved. I could think of many more such examples
of this too. IANAL, of course, but I would hope no one could sue me for
referring to making a copy on my Canon as "Xeroxing". Simmilar to when you
say "it is a UNIX" rather than "it is a Unix-compatable environment".

--
Jason Keirstead
http://www.keirstead.org