List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Add flags to kdemultimedia "configure" script.
From:       Lauri Watts <lauri () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-01-25 9:48:11

On Tuesday 25 January 2005 01.10, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 January 2005 01:36, Simone Gotti wrote:
> > Hi to All,
> >
> > Here in gentoo an user can choose (using the USE flags) which features of
> > a program he wants to enable.
> >
> > A lot of parts of kde (for example the "akode" library) checks for
> > various programs/libs present on the system and then enable specific code
> > for them.
>
> You are supposed to only install the parts you want. This is usually the
> job of the packager. For instance you install juk by only running make
> install under juk. For aKode the idea is the same with the plugins. They
> can all be installed separatly. Not that I dislike your patch, it can be
> usefull for developers using cvs, but a packager or user shouldn't use
> that.

For source based builds, including konstruct, gentoo, or any of the BSD's,
things can't work that way.  If they're only intended to be built separately,
then we either need them in separate tarballs, or we need switches to be able
to disable them in chunks as required.

Sure it's possible to chunk things up, and we do, to a point, but
kdemultimedia sure doesn't make it easy.   I would like to see this patch
committed.

I would also like to see some pointers to a README or similar with this "how
things are intended to work" laid out - this is not how any of the other
modules work, and while I've picked up this before from things that have been
said, it's certainly not made clear in kdemultimedia/README which is
ridiculously out of date in any case - it mentions aktion, but not akode.

--
Lauri Watts
KDE Documentation: http://docs.kde.org