List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Overriding Klipper
From:       Esben Mose Hansen <kde () mosehansen ! dk>
Date:       2005-01-07 21:19:13

On Friday 07 January 2005 16:23, Elad Lahav wrote:

> Is it possible to copy some text to the clipboard, without it showing in
> Klipper's history?

No, it is not, currently. Well, you could stop Klipper, and then start it
again afterwards.

> I often copy passwords and other secure information from a password storing
> programme to Firefox. The problem is that afterwards I need to clear
> Klipper's history manually. I would like to enhance my programme so that
> copied information does no show in Klipper, and/or the information is
> removed from the clipboard after a certain time interval.

Make "remove a clipboard item" a wish, and I'll put it on my todo.

But maybe it is not such a good idea to have the application you copied from
perform this? If you do this, perhaps make a custom drag/clipboard type so
that Klipper, in  the future, can do something sensible about such items?

This is, BTW, a rather general problem. It's a rather known and sad cracker
trick to sieve bash_history for passwords :-/

--
regards. Esben