List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Superlous configuration?
From:       "Gary L. Greene Jr." <greeneg () arklinux ! org>
Date:       2005-01-06 6:46:39

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 06 January 2005 1:41 am, Scott Newton wrote:
> On Thursday, 06 January 2005 17:21, Michael Pyne wrote:
> > Well I don't really like the idea of making advanced users a third-class
> > citizen of KDE.  But this *is* an option that is likely to be set only
> > once in a blue moon.
> >
> > Perhaps what we need is a TweakUI for KDE.  Or if we wanted to be jazzy
> > about it, a TweakUI kioslave with a web interface accessible from
> > Konqueror ;). The problem with that is that it's essentially like having
> > two KControl programs, one for the "normal" options, and another for the
> > "unusual/advanced" options, which just seems weird to me.
>
> I vote for having delete and "move to trash" in the RM pop-up. The first
> thing I did when I read this thread was go and enable the delete because I
> wondered where it had disappeared to.
>
> One option for kcontrol would be have some sort of usability level with
> each option - say novice, intermediate, advanced - and have a option for
> the user to select their level with novice being the default. That way you
> can have very few options for those starting off but with the user having
> the option to show the more advanced ones rather if they so wish - rather
> than someone else deciding for them.
>
> It's one of the things I like about KDE - it's defaults are pretty good
> overall but I do have the option of easily browsing and changing them
> without burying myself is some form of complete unintelligible registry.

Heck, that was how Ximian did their first release of Ximian Desktop. when you
started the desktop up for the first time, it asked whether you were a
beginner, intermediate, or advanced user, and based the visible options off
that.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from uriel

Developer and Project Lead for the Ark Linux Project
 check out http://www.arklinux.org/ for more info.
 Also http://www.csis.gvsu.edu/~greeneg/
EMAIL : greeneg@arklinux.com