List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Superlous configuration?
From:       Scott Newton <scottn () ihug ! co ! nz>
Date:       2005-01-06 6:41:50

On Thursday, 06 January 2005 17:21, Michael Pyne wrote:
> Well I don't really like the idea of making advanced users a third-class
> citizen of KDE.  But this *is* an option that is likely to be set only once
> in a blue moon.
>
> Perhaps what we need is a TweakUI for KDE.  Or if we wanted to be jazzy
> about it, a TweakUI kioslave with a web interface accessible from Konqueror
> ;). The problem with that is that it's essentially like having two KControl
> programs, one for the "normal" options, and another for the
> "unusual/advanced" options, which just seems weird to me.

I vote for having delete and "move to trash" in the RM pop-up. The first thing
I did when I read this thread was go and enable the delete because I wondered
where it had disappeared to.

One option for kcontrol would be have some sort of usability level with each
option - say novice, intermediate, advanced - and have a option for the user
to select their level with novice being the default. That way you can have
very few options for those starting off but with the user having the option
to show the more advanced ones rather if they so wish - rather than someone
else deciding for them.

It's one of the things I like about KDE - it's defaults are pretty good
overall but I do have the option of easily browsing and changing them without
burying myself is some form of complete unintelligible registry.

--
Regards
Scott Newton