List:       kde-devel
Subject:    kdepim (CVS HEAD): "/usr/bin/install" is being called while running
From:       "Steven P. Ulrick" <ulrick2 () faith4miracle ! org>
Date:       2004-12-29 13:53:01

Hello, Everyone
I have had this problem before with another (can't remember which) project I
compile from source.  On a completely fresh download of kdepim from CVS HEAD,
for some reason, "/usr/bin/install" is being called while I am running
"make".  As a result, I get this error:
installing ./libkdepim/kdepimmacros.h
/usr/bin/install: cannot remove `/usr/local/kde-cvs/include/kdepimmacros.h':
Permission denied
Error creating /usr/local/kde-cvs/include/kdepimmacros.h. Exit status 1.
make: *** [all] Error 1

I just su'd into root and I am going to try to run the same commands I used as
a regular user to compile kdepim.......
While we are waiting, in the past, when I got this error when running "make",
if I would log in as root, everything would compile fine.  Also, when I would
run make install (instead of it being run "FOR" me), everything would install
just fine.

"make" hasn't finished yet, but I noticed the following in what has been done
so far:
linking ./certmanager/lib/libkleopatra.la
installing ./libkdepim/kdepimmacros.h
linking ./kresources/opengroupware/libkopengroupware.la

Remember, as a regular user, running "make -f Makefile.cvs && ./configure
--prefix=/usr/local/kde-cvs --enable-debug=full && make" in a freshly
downloaded copy of "kdepim" from CVS HEAD (No chance for any file
ownerships/permissions to be changed so that my user account can't alter
them) "/usr/bin/install" was being called while I was running "make"  Now,
logged in as root, running "make" (not "make install"), it is apparently
Still being called.  Only difference being it is being called successfully,
since root has the right to install files in /usr/local/kde-cvs/include/

I don't know how much longer it will take for "kdepim" to finish compiling,
but it will be interesting to find out if "kdepimmacros.h" is the only file
that /usr/bin/install is being called on.  So far, that seems to be the only
file involved.

Steven P. Ulrick