List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Alternate K-Menu designs
From:       Luke-Jr <luke-jr () utopios ! org>
Date:       2004-12-20 7:01:39

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 20 December 2004 6:43 am, Oliver Stieber wrote:
> You should at least popup a default if the user
> loiters over the menu bar.

Not sure what default you want to popup or what menu-bar the user can loiter
over...

> I also found the menus a little deep, try not to go
> deeper than 2 before showing the results to the user.

I was thinking about combining the Actions to be a result of its own,
actually. It stands out a bit since the others *are* all 2 levels deep.

> Personally I'd prefer dynamic menus that presented me
> with the options I'm most lightly to choose next.

I have only been working with designs that would manipulate the display of the
existing K-Menu, not modify how the internal workings are. So far, at
least...

> I'm putting together a usability test suit at the
> moment, to try and identify learning curves and
> usability performance by asking the user to perform a
> task and timing all of the elements involved in the
> task. I'll give your menu style a spin and see how it
> goes.

I'd be interested in the results of such testing (and the software used for
it, of course). If you want to add yet more menu designs, I've made the
images directory index-viewable, so there's two other designs (and variants
of them) in:
 http://utopios.org/dev/projects/kde/menu/images/

>  --- Luke-Jr <luke-jr@utopios.org> wrote:
> > I've been pondering alternate designs for the
> > K-Menu, and I recently put
> > together a UI-demo of one model (CSS/XHTML;
> > Konqueror-only).
> > I'd appreciate any comments on usablitiy and
> > possible improvements.
>
> http://utopios.org/dev/projects/kde/menu/images/tree/example.html
>
> > Note: There's a minor bug that prevents menu items
> > on the left from opening
> > once the one to the right of it has been opened, but
> > I'm not sure how to fix
> > it. Suggestions on CSS are welcome, too. ;)
> >
> > Thanks.
> > --
> > Luke-Jr
> > Developer, Utopios
> > http://utopios.org/
> >

> > ATTACHMENT part 1.2 application/pgp-signature

> > to unsubscribe <<

Luke-Jr
Developer, Utopios
http://utopios.org/