List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Applet Menu Question
From:       code () dragonsbait ! com
Date:       2004-12-01 16:21:42

Hello,

First off, I am relatively new to GUI coding in C++. I've done some
internal CLI apps, but my kicker applet is my 'learning experience' in
doing some real GUI coding; thankfully QT and KDE has made it very easy to
learn, and using PyQT|KDE was a great help in getting my feet wet. So,
thanks to the Devs all around. :)

My question is this: how would I go about making a applet menu line-up
with the top or bottom of the kicker (like KMenu) depending on where the
kicker is on the desktop.  I have it working *if* my kicker is at the top
of the screen, since I just take the height of the kicker, then
mapToGlobal() using that as an offset.  My problem is, I can't figure out
how to get my menu's size (which is dynamically created) so I can
correctly offset (kicker height + menu height) the top of the menu. I've
tried grabbing the PopupMenu's QRect, but the dimensions on that seem to
be very whacked...using them, the menu popped up quite a bit away from the
kicker.  I deleted that code, or else I'd paste it here.  I'm not
concerned about vertical panels at the moment; I'll figure those out after
I get the 'normal' horizontal menu working.

Is there another way I am not finding in the docs?  I'm not asking for
100% code example, only a nudge in what methods and such I should be
looking at. I learn by doing. :)

Thanks.

Randy C.