List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: K-Menu (Expanding Kicker) - Icon Size
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () Kossebau ! de>
Date:       2004-11-30 13:06:23

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Am Dienstag, 30. November 2004 12:02, schrieb Mark Miller:
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:39:47 +0000, John Tapsell <john@geola.co.uk> wrote:
> > > Yes, and was rather put off that I should obviously learn C++ and read
> > > up on the KDE Libraries to be able to do what I believe should be a
> > > simple task. (Apparently for some people, things haven't changed
> > > [http://www.linuxandmain.com/news/raymond.html])
> >
> > Put off or not, if it's not implemented yet, then if you want that
> > feature you either have to wait patiently, learn C++ and code it
> > yourself, or pay someone else to do it.
>
> I can wait patiently. But the initially response I got was "Code it
> Yourself"

Which is not that bad ;) The more developers there are for KDE, the faster it
gets better. Everyone who can code is invited to join, so are you :)

<snip>
> > The correct way for you to deal with this would have been to try to do
> > this, fail, ask on #kde-users or #kde.  If you get no reply, possibly try
> > #kde-devel but don't be surprised if you get a developer answer (do
> > something technical or code-it-yourself).  Then search bugs.kde.org for
> > an existing bug, and file a bug or a wish (probably a wish in this case).
>
> Do something technical is easy to do with. Aaron told me how to get
> what I wanted, and that works.
>
> Evidently mailing lists aren't the way anymore, everyone wants Bug
> reports. I'll remember this now. It wasn't this way a few years ago.

Yes. A general mailing list like this one does not scale for feature
discussions (it would be flooded these days, and no one would read it). There
are a lot of dedicated mailing lists (see
http://www.kde.org/mailinglists/#{dedicated, application}) where single
feature discussions might be more welcome (sorry, no one for Kicker). But bug
reports (includes whishes) are a place to discuss things, too (plus they help
the responsible developers collecting and organizing all the whishes and
bugs, so none gets lost).

Please adopt to the bug report system, it works out :) Simply browse a little
on http://bugs.kde.org and see yourself.

Friedrich