List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: K-Menu (Expanding Kicker) - Icon Size
From:       Mark Miller <mirell () gmail ! com>
Date:       2004-11-30 11:02:43

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:39:47 +0000, John Tapsell <john@geola.co.uk> wrote:
> I get the feeling I'm responding to a troll, but what the hell..
>
> > Yes, and was rather put off that I should obviously learn C++ and read
> > up on the KDE Libraries to be able to do what I believe should be a
> > simple task. (Apparently for some people, things haven't changed
> > [http://www.linuxandmain.com/news/raymond.html])
>
> Put off or not, if it's not implemented yet, then if you want that feature you
> either have to wait patiently, learn C++ and code it yourself, or pay someone
> else to do it.

I can wait patiently. But the initially response I got was "Code it Yourself"

> Someone else has given you one possible answer, and gave it on the irc
> channel, yet you are still not happy and

Yes, because initially the answer didn't address the dilemma.

> CC the email to eric and cathy raymond,

Note below.

> and then bad talk the developers!

Yes, because it still seems to be rampant that the end user is not the
person at times which developers are coding for.

> The correct way for you to deal with this would have been to try to do this,
> fail, ask on #kde-users or #kde.  If you get no reply, possibly try
> #kde-devel but don't be surprised if you get a developer answer (do something
> technical or code-it-yourself).  Then search bugs.kde.org for an existing
> bug, and file a bug or a wish (probably a wish in this case).

Do something technical is easy to do with. Aaron told me how to get
what I wanted, and that works.

Evidently mailing lists aren't the way anymore, everyone wants Bug
reports. I'll remember this now. It wasn't this way a few years ago.

> Complaining to the kde-devel mailing list that someone told you to develop it
> yourself,

...yes? This is a mailing list for developers. I felt that developers
should know about it.

> and CC'ing eric raymond and his wife is not the correct way.

Seeing as I just talked with Eric and Rob at Metro (coffee shop in
Austin) a few hours ago about this, I can email Eric and Rob if I
want.

--
Mark A. Miller
mark@mirell.org