List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: K-Menu (Expanding Kicker) - Icon Size
From:       Mark Miller <mirell () gmail ! com>
Date:       2004-11-30 6:52:09

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:40:53 -0700, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo@kde.org> wrote:
> On Monday 29 November 2004 09:39, Mark Miller wrote:
> > I have the Kicker on the left side of the screen.
> >
> > 1) I want to expand it beyond 128 pixels
> > 2) I don't want K-Menu and other Icons to be "Large" size
>
> are you the fellow who asked this question in #kde earlier tonight?

Yes, and was rather put off that I should obviously learn C++ and read
up on the KDE Libraries to be able to do what I believe should be a
simple task. (Apparently for some people, things haven't changed
[http://www.linuxandmain.com/news/raymond.html])

> if so, i
> believe i told you that you can set ConserveSpace=true to get smaller icon
> buttons in CVS HEAD / 3.4. if not, well, there's your answer =)

So it's only available in CVS HEAD 3.4. Currently I am running 3.3.1.
Is there no planned 3.3.2?

> > These two issues seem related. The icons included for K-Menu do not
> > expand past 128 pixels, so why would anyone want to expand the Kicker
> > beyond 128 pixels?
>
> that's why we have the ability to add multiple panels!

So I am suppose to add multiple panels to the left side of the screen?
Or are you implying that I need to add one to the left, top, bottom,
and right, just to gain the visibility of the titles of my windows,
which would be accomplished cleaner and more easily by just expanding
the Kicker to larger than 128 pixels wide/tall?

> if you want panels that allow 2-dimensional layouts of buttons, there is a
> wishlist item you can vote for on bugs.kde.org IIRC. i'm not yet convinced
> it's an advantageous change to make, however.

How does multiple panels help one read the title that is in the
taskbar when it is on the left of the screen? That would defeat the
entire purpose.

When you're working with multiple copies of Firefox and other
applications, it's nice to be able to pick which Firefox/xemacs
instance you have running, since there is a limit to an amount of tabs
you can nicely support in the instance.

And I am not sure what you mean by 2-Dimensional layout of buttons. I
just want to have the Kicker expand to 256 pixels wide.

> --
> Aaron J. Seigo

Mark A. Miller
mark@mirell.org