List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Unable to start session - ksmserver error [FIXED]
From:       Scott Newton <scottn () ihug ! co ! nz>
Date:       2004-11-17 8:00:25

On Sunday, 14 November 2004 17:22, Scott Newton wrote:
> > Could not start ksmserver. Check your installation.

I've managed to fix this but am still a bit at a lost as to why it happened.

The latest updates didn't fix the problem so I tried a make clean in the
ksmserver directory and rebuilt it. No luck. So I removed the ksmserver
completely and then did the normal cvs up, make -f Makefile.cvs, configure,
make and make install routine. Now ksmserver no longer complained but at the
end of kwin coming up I had no desktop, no kicker, nothing except a screen
containing the desktop that the login screen has and the knotes icon stuck in
the middle of the screen. Looking through .xsession-errors I now had the
following:
Could not find kdemain: /usr/lib/kde3/kwin.so: undefined symbol: main
Could not find kdemain: /usr/lib/kde3/kdesktop.so: undefined symbol: main
Could not find kdemain: /usr/lib/kde3/kicker.so: undefined symbol: main
So I removed the kwin, kdesktop and kicker directories and did the same again.
Now I could log in.

Thinking all was now fixed I tried starting konsole. Same error - undefined
symbol main in /usr/lib/kde3/konsole.so. kfmclient gave me the same thing. So
I did a make distclean in kdebase and repeated the cvs up ... make install
routine. This didn't fix the problem. So I removed kdebase completely and
rechecked it out of cvs and built it. Now everything is back to normal.

What I don't understand is why only applications from kdebase were affected.
digikam worked fine. knotes worked fine. juk worked fine. kwalletmanager
worked fine. And this despite the fact that the build that started the issue
was a build of all the kde modules I'm using (which is most of them). I only
have one instance of kde on my system - the cvs version so it seems unlikely
that it was picking up old instances of other KDE libraries.

I suspect this is related to other people's problems with building kdelibs and
kdebase. Does anyone have a good explanation of why this happened?

Thanks
--
Regards
Scott Newton