List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Intended behavior of "File Already Exists" dialog box?
From:       "Steven P. Ulrick" <ulrick2 () faith4miracle ! org>
Date:       2004-10-27 4:29:58

On Tuesday 26 October 2004 05:39 pm, David Faure wrote:
> I see. This is due to the (new since a few releases) code which tries to do
> a direct renaming before launching the full "copy + delete" operation. That
> code has its own "rename dialog" code, and I didn't want to use the
> "multiple files" and "skip" flags for it.... for a reason that I don't
> understand anymore (confusing comment).
>
> So I added it now.
> Testing showed that "skip" was broken (it crashed often), so I fixed that
> too.
>
> There are chances I still missed something though, there are so many
> cases... Care to test the attached patch (for CVS HEAD) ?

Hello, David
The patch applied just fine, and I recompiled and installed kdelibs, and I got
my beloved "Skip" and "Auto Skip" back :)
There is one problem that I discovered right away: let's say I have seven
files I want to move into a directory that may already have some or all of
them in it.  I select the desired files, drag them to the directory, and
choose to "Move" them to that location.  I choose to skip a few, and I choose
to overwrite a few.  The last one happens to be one that I want to skip.  So,
I click "Cancel", and a few seconds later, I find that none of the files that
I had wanted to move to that other directory were moved.  All the files I
started with are still in their original location.
A similar experiment with "Copying" went as expected.  I copied all the files
to a directory.  Then I selected them again, and chose to "Copy" them into
the destination directory.  I chose to "Rename" one of them.  I clicked
"Cancel" on the last file.  When I looked at the contents of the destination
directory, I was pleased to find the original file I had copied there, and
the Renamed file as well.

> > After making my choices to either skip or overwrite, when it gets down to
> > the last file, the dialog reverts to the undesired "Move" behavior:
> > http://www.faith4miracle.org/FileAlreadyExists-Copy-LastFile.jpg
>
> Well for the last file "Skip", "Auto Skip" or "Cancel" would do exactly the
> same, they would just stop there. So there's no point in offering 3 choices
> that do the same thing. "Skip" only makes sense if there are more things to
> do after skipping this file.

On that point, after I read that last sentence, I was thinking, "OOPs, Serious
egg on my face :)  Thank you for being merciful.

Have a Great Day
Steven P. Ulrick

--
 23:16:12 up 14 days,  8:46, 29 users,  load average: 1.07, 0.79, 0.51