List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Linux/BSD distribution
From:       Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <bero () arklinux ! org>
Date:       2004-10-27 0:34:29

On Tuesday 26 October 2004 23:26, Christoph Wiesen wrote:
> Users coming from windows mostly expect to have a selection of third party
> software available in a format they can use easily. While debian is not the
> best example (SuSE and Red Hat are) there is support from non-Debian
> people. That means that you can find more .deb files any user can install
> on their debian (compatible) system on kde-apps.org (just an example) than
> you can for ark.

True - that's a lot like "Bush is horrible, Kerry needs improvement too, but a
third candidate is a waste anyway, so let's pick the lesser of two evils" --
a statement that most surely has a point, but also prevents the best (though
unlikely) outcome.

> Seriously this can be discussed to no end - there are areas where ark
> excels and there are areas where debian takes lead, period.

Absolutely.

> Maybe ark will get there, but I think right now you could not guarantee to
> have a complete and stable installation CD out the time KDE 3.3 hits and
> then again when KDE 3.4 hits.

Nobody can guarantee anything, but this is definitely our plan.

> This is speculation on my part of course but I don't have the impression
> that a KDE centric release cicle is what you aim at.

Actually it is. KDE is not the only factor (e.g. we'd adjust a release cycle
by a week or two to get e.g. OpenOffice 2.0 in), but KDE is the biggest and
most important part of Ark Linux and therefore we'll mostly follow KDE
release cycles (which of course doesn't mean we won't make any releases
between KDE 3.4 and KDE 4.0 though).

LLaP
bero