List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Linux/BSD distribution
From:       Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <bero () arklinux ! org>
Date:       2004-10-26 23:24:35

Hi!

> I must admit I've always liked some of the ideas behind Ark Linux even if
> the distribution itself isn't yet ready to be used in an environment such
> as what I need to do my homework in.

What is it missing, in your opinion? We may need your help to fix it ;)

> I offered to volunteer once before but
> I felt out of the loop because I had no idea what was going on and what
> needed to be done.

We're coordinating mostly everything over irc - we're on #arklinux-devel on
irc.freenode.net - feel free to drop by at any time.
Everything else is done over devel-list@arklinux.org (which is open for
subscription too).

> - Where do I find out what tasks still need to be done?

Usually by checking out what you'd need yourself -- and by looking at the
channel -- off the top of my head, the top priorities ATM are:
- Add an advanced mode to the installer (customized partitioning etc.)
- videoconference (basically a KDE port of gnomemeeting) needs some work
  (e.g. real adaption to new pwlib etc.)
- The hotplugging system - we've started a KNotify based extension to
  hotplug so we can be a bit more interactive (e.g. offering a driver download
  etc.)
- The usual maintenance stuff - bugfixes, package updates, etc.

And of course there's the things we've always wanted to do if there's some
time, but never got to do, such as creating a KDE/Qt based replacement for
gimp so we can finally drop the *****ing gnome libs altogether, or making
Konqueror's java applet support work with Kaffe and/or gcj (this can and
should, of course, be done in KDE CVS directly rather than just as a
distribution specific addon), and creating an open source flash player
(beginnings are already in CVS)

Same irc channel, and arklinux-list@arklinux.org

> - Is that problem where my computer's clock would run at over twice the
> speed fixed yet?

Sure, we found that (ACPI bug that only showed up on some BIOSes) rather
quickly, it's been fixed about 3 months ago.

> It would be helpful if I knew which ISO images to download from Dockyard,

Try the dockyard-devel arklinux.iso - dockyard is pretty outdated at the
moment because we've made all the big changes (KDE 3.3.x, Kernel 2.6, NPTL,
gcc 3.4.x, XFree86->X.Org, ...) at once.
We'll move dockyard-devel over to dockyard in a couple of days; we just want
to get a bit more testing on different hardware before declaring it stable.

> I would like to have en_CA language support or alternatively en_GB

Both are there by default.

> and I would like to have everything I need to create packages as well as
> write programs with C++ and Qt.

You'll need ark-development-suite.iso as well - that has everything you'll
need for programming.

> If you preffer you can reply to me off list.

Replied on list in the hopes that maybe some more people will hear the call ;)
but since this is getting off-topic, let's keep any further replies off-list.

LLaP
bero