List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Linux/BSD distribution
From:       Derrick Wippler <derrick () logicalsi ! com>
Date:       2004-10-26 21:04:08

OK, I can't help myself, I must respond. I've had the same thought as this
fine fellow for a very long time. However I have thought about it so much I've
taken it to the next level.

There is nothing wrong with customizing KDE to suite a particular platform or
some default set. In fact the default install of some Distro's deliver a well
intergrated KDE platform. You now have this wonderful Distro where everything
is smooth and sweet, But alas! Now you want to update to the lastest KDE
release! You have 2 options, 1) Wait for the Distro to release the newest KDE
release ( which they may or may not do depending on the release cycle )
2) Download the source and compile a default KDE install losing all your cool
customizations and probably breaking half the binary packages in your Distro
install.
3) Download a binary Distro created by someone with some spare time and no
knowledge of the platform specific or Distro specific changes you are so fond
of, along with probably creating un-meet dependences and breaking parts of
the system.

For most newbie users the only clear answer is 1, For Power users 1 just isn't
acceptable (well for this power user it isn't) , 3) Maywork but will also may
cause hours of headaches and frustration. So a seemingly simple upgrade can
cause a normal computer user screaming and yelling all the way back to (name
Proprietary OS here). 1 is also not a good solution because you ruin the one
thing that makes linux wonderful, Flexibility! and when I say Flexibility I
mean in a non-company / Distro dependant way. (Name proprietary OS / or Linux
Distro here) can easily control what software users are exposed to, and what
they should use on their desktops purely because their (Distro/ proparty OS)
is easy to use and install and upgrade. Provided that you use their stuff and
only their stuff.

As I've said before, having given this a great deal of thought has lead me
down several paths to different resolutions, most of them include the basic
problems I spelled out in the second paragraph and the solution most Distro's
take. That is, to use X packaging system and X desktop and customize for the
X platform so the upgrade and installation is easy. You just have to use our
stuff.

Now before I continue and start making generalizations I want to pause and
clarify what the common computer user is to me. Because people's experience
with common computer users differs greatly. So lets define common PC user.
The common PC user A) Knows what a window is and how the task bar / Start
button works and has a rudimentary understanding of a filesystem. B) Knows
how to surf the internet C) Knows how to install new software or games
D) Knows how to remove software from computer E) has never touched a
commandline in his/her life.

Some would argue that our Common PC user is better off locked into using a non
flexable OS/Distro, with easy non flexable Distro's and custom packages,
however I don't think this should be the case. The solution is not to limit
flexibility but make flexibility easier.

Right now you can do 1 of the following on the linux platform to install
programs.

1) Tar/Patch/Config/Make/Make install
2) Binary Package
3) Gui Installer executable

By far 1 is the most flexable, 2 is the most common way, ( because is easiest
on the developers when compared to 3 ) you use 3 when your a huge corporation
and can spare the time and resources it takes to make an installer. But it's
still usually not as flexable as 1, ( I've never seen an installer allow you
to patch it's contents before installing, If you have please write me )

At this moment in time our "common user" wouldn't have any idea what to do
with 1, of even what "tar" is and why it has such a funny name. But 1 is the
most flexable, so we don't want to get rid of it, we just want to make it
easier! forexample I think portage has made great strides in this area and
building on top of that would be a great start. Konstruct is also a good
example of a simplified compile and install system. But lets take it to the
next level.

Users should be able to click on a tar file in their favorite file manager and
a "installer helper" program walks them through the configuration with option
compile and install. Which brings me to a side point. I think that software
distributors should encourage patch files written by third party developers
be included in the distributed file that would offer optional features or
platform specific integrations that can simply be chosen from a list on the
configuration dialog. If a compiled version (binary version) with the
selected patches compiled in is already available it could be downloaded or
included in the distributed file. ( depending on size of the software
project. Binary diffs are very possible. ) If not, the source is patched with
the selected third party patches then the "installer helper" program walks
the user thru the rest of the compile and installation, Prompting for install
directory's, compile time configuration options,  and possible menu icon
additions based on the Distro that the "installer helper" program was
compiled for. Then when installing the compiled software the "installer
helper" could register the compiled software with the local package system or
a shared installed package database, what would include all information for
uninstalling the software.

Once this system is in place, Mr Thompson's project could release a tar file
with all the patches and optional patches in on nice tar ( or multiple tars,
that could be supported by the installer helper ) this tar would install and
configure almost any Distro that plays nice with the "installer helper".

Most of this functionality is available already to the command line / Internet
savvy user. It needs to be brought to the common user who could then alteast
have the option of installing a software package that would have most likely
been out of his/her reach until then.

If you've read this far, I thank you for your time
I've tried to make as complete an argument as possible however much must be
considered, when attempting to create a system that would bridge the gap
between flexibility and usability. Etc.Etc.

--Derrick.

--
D E R R I C K  J.  W I P P L E R			Logical Solutions, Inc.
Software Developer					<derrick@logicalsi.com>

Simon's Law:
	Everything put together falls apart sooner or later.