List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Problem with Konqeror after recent update from CVS HEAD
From:       "Steven P. Ulrick" <ulrick2 () faith4miracle ! org>
Date:       2004-10-26 18:29:49

Hello, Everyone
I was starting to write a message about another subject, when I discovered
this new issue.
Before I describe this problem, you need to assume that I just deleted my
~/.kde directory, which I did for the sake of this experiement.

1. Remove or move ~/.kde
2. Log in and open up your home directory by clicking the "Home" icon.  I
believe the exact command is "kfmclient openProfile filemanagement"
3. When it opens, I noticed that it defaulted to showing hidden directories
and files.  So I clicked "View | Show Hidden Files" and the hidden
directories and files dissapear (as desired)
4. Since I want to make this the default for "kfmclient openProfile
filemanagement" I click "Settings | Save View Profile "File Management"
"Save URLs in profile" is checked by default, as desired.  Since I also want
to save the window size in the profile, I check "Save window size in profile"
I then click "Save"
5. I then open up my home directory using the method descibed in step 2 above,
the underlying command still being "kfmclient openProfile filemanagement"  I
am greeted with the unfortunate sight that the hidden directories and files
are still visible.  But it gets worse: when I try to go through the process
above again, just to see if I did something stupid, I am greeted with the
unfortunate revelation that instead of Eleven possible choices on the "View"
menu, there are only Five.  I will give links to screen shots later in this
message that will show you before and after view of the "View Menu"  The
biggest problem is that one of the items that has dissapeared from the "View"
menu is "Show Hidden Files"  So if I want to use "kfmclient openProfile
filemanagement"  without hidden directories and files visible, I need to
remove my Konqueror related config files, and be sure to never save any "View
Profiles"

Here are screen shots of the Desired and the Undesired "View" menu as referred
to above:
http://www.faith4miracle.org/ViewMenu-Desired.jpg
http://www.faith4miracle.org/ViewMenu-Undesired.jpg

I admit that I don't want to do it, since I did it just yesterday, but for the
sake of figuring this out, I am going to redownload arts, kdelibs and
kdebase, recompile and install, and see what happens.

As always, anything that I have left out, feel free to ask me about it.

Operating System: Fedora Core 2, All Packages installed, All official Updates
installed (Except the kernel)
QT: 3.3.3 from TrollTech source tarball
KDE: CVS HEAD

QT and KDE paths are both exported in my ~/.bash_profile.  I did not overwrite
the FC2 default KDE.

Have a Great Day
Steven P. Ulrick