List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Improving KDE
From:       Andre Moreira Magalhaes <andrunko () yahoo ! com ! br>
Date:       2004-10-24 19:30:37

 --- "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo@kde.org> wrote:
> some general notes:
>
> the patches tend to change a LOT of whitespacing. this is generally
> very
> frowned upon since it's usually formatted to the taste of the
> developer who
> maintains it (though not always) and, more importantly, it renders
> `cvs log`
> and `cvs ann` nearly useless.
>
> your patches are also very large and combine several different
> changes in
> each. it's much, much nicer when the patches are separated out so
> that each
> diff does _one_ thing.
correct. i will try to fix this.

> on to the patches themselves =)
>
> the first 4 items is something the maintainer of plastik, along with
> the other
> kde artsts, should have a say in. the maintainer of plastik is Sandro
> Giessl
> <ceebx@users.sourceforge.net>, and the artists lurk on
> kde-artists@kde.org
>
> > 1) the patch for plastik is not a fix. it only change the way
> plastik
> > draw a listview branch to a ligther line than a dotted line. (this
> is
> > the simplest one)
> > 2) rounded selection in iconview. all iconview items selection are
> > rounded.
> > 3) rubberband. as you can see the rubberband is semi-transparent.
> > (there is a option to change this to default one)
>
> does this depend on the Qt patch? if so, i don't know if the patch
> can go in,
> but the artists would probably be able to say...
yes, some of them depends on qt patch. i will try to send the patches
to trolltech.

> KFileIVIDesktop::paintFocus( QPainter *p, const QColorGroup &cg )
> seems
> completely comments out. perhaps it should just be removed?
i just was testing, and forgot to remove the function. i will do this
the next release.

> > 4) Modified dialogs when in iconlist mode to highlight item on
> mouse over (mozilla-firefox).
>
> the next two patches belong on kfm-devel@kde.org, which is where
> konqi devel
> is discussed (though it seems David is reading this thread here as
> well).
>
> > 5) Added a new konqueror sidebar look, using QToolBox.
>
> toolboxes suck when it comes to usability (not that our current
> sidebar thing
> is exactly great)
>
> personally, i'm not thrilled to see this as Yet Another Option ...
>
> it would be much better to do some actual testing in both modes, pick
> the one
> that is best, improve as necessary, and go with it.
i agree, but i still prefer the current look (with QToolBox) than the
older one. I believe that some changes must be done to reach a good
usability.
1) I believe are that the styles should draw a more beautiful QToolBox,
i will try to do this with plastik (but i'm not so good in doing this).

2) It could be a option to hide the toolbox buttons (this cannot be
done with the current QToolBox, i can't not event know when someone
click in a QToolBox button).
i could do another class based on QToolBox, but i don't know if this is
the best solution.

> > 6) Now sidebar is saved per profile. (this is the most usefull for
> me,
> > you can have different profiles for example for browser and
> > filemanagement)
>
> i think #6 is a very good improvement, but it will require a
> kconf_update
> script since losing your sidebar config, at least for the two most
> common
> profiles of file management and web browsing, isn't an option.
i will take a look at kconf_update, if i have some time.
I didn't even know what this program was used to do. :(

> i'd also echo Allen Winter: if you would like to continue working on
> this sort
> of stuff (which we do need, to be sure!) then you may want to
> consider
> applying for a CVS account of your own.. they are pretty easy to get
> =)
i will try to create a CVS account.

cheers
Andrunko