List:       kde-devel
Subject:    "Missing" module for configuring Desktop Backgrounds
From:       "Steven P. Ulrick" <ulrick2 () faith4miracle ! org>
Date:       2004-10-24 3:45:09

Hello, Everyone
I was just trying to configure some new desktop backgrounds and I ran into the
following problem:
One of the patterns was way smaller than the resolution of our monitor (the
monitor is set at 1152x864 and the image is 240x240.  So I proceeded to right
click on the desktop and choose "Configure Desktop"  There were four choices
on the left hand side of the window that opened:
Behavior
Multiple Desktops
Screen Saver
Display

The name of the one I was looking for I Think, is Backgrounds, but I know it
has something to do with configuring desktop backgrounds.  That one, as far
as I could tell, is not there anymore.  I then proceeded to check "kcontrol"
under "Appearances & Themes"  The module I was looking for, which I am even
more certain is named "Backgrounds" is not there either.

I looked around "kcontrol" in both Appearances & Themes and Desktop.  No Joy.

I then proceeded to search the kde-user and kde-devel archives (I subscribe to
both lists) and I found nothing that looked relevant to this "problem"  I
checked the kde-core-devel archives, where I found the following thread:
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=109327126532431&w=2

I read the entire thread, but I saw nothing in it that lead me to believe that
the module to configure Desktop Backgrounds was removed.  It Looks To Me like
a new option was added to it (that thread was from back in August)

I just updated, recompiled and installed kdelibs and kdebase from CVS HEAD.
This has not fixed the problem.

1. If this is a bug, please let me know if I need to report it.  If you want
me to, please let me know the component and subcomponent that I should file
it under.  I want to do it right.
2. I tried to find that out before I wrote this.  If this is a new feature, I
would like to know how to use it.  I assume that you don't intend that every
user resize every small background image to the size of their monitor's
resolution before they can use that image.

Operating System: Fedora Core 2, full installation (not an upgrade)  All
official updates installed.  (During the installation, I chose to install ALL
packages.)
QT: from www.trolltech.com - version 3.3.3
KDE is from CVS HEAD.  I just updated and installed from CVS HEAD today
(October 23rd)

In closing, if there is something obvious that I missed I do apologize.  But I
did make an honest attempt to fix this before I bothered you with it.
Also, anything I can do to help, please let me know.
Oh yeah, I just created a test user account to try and log into Fedora Core
2's default version of KDE, and the "Bacgrounds" option was the fourth one
down after "right click | Configure Desktop"  Also, the desired module
appears in "kcontrol" in the expected place.
I also made a brand new user account that uses my installation of KDE from CVS
HEAD.  All options to configure Desktop Backgrounds are still missing, even
in a fresh user account.
Also, I brought this to kde-devel, since something similar was discussed on
kde-core-devel, and I figured that more of the people involved in that thread
would be on this list.  If this is wrong, I do apologize.

Steven P. Ulrick