List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Proposal to implement autohide in systemtray.
From:       Aaron Seigo <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-10-22 18:37:47

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On October 22, 2004 11:43, David Hénot wrote:
> inactivity-based system is a bit frustrating. For example I may want
> for a particular icon to be never hidden, so I'm able to quickly know
> the application is running or not, and when I use a hidden icon I
> don't want it to wait for several minutes before it is hidden again.
> Impossible with a XP-like systray.

i generally agree with this. i think we'll end up with a "both/and" approach
where the user can set policies if they wish (always show, never show, Do The
Right Thing(tm) (aka DTRT, which would be the default)) and allow the
applications and systray to interact better to DTRT, which goes beyond just
hide and show as well...

> It adds a configuration dialog to the systray applet with the list of
> currently active systray icons and you can put them in the hide list.
> This configuration is saved so you don't have to manualy re-hide the
> icon next time it is added to the systray. When some icons are hidden
> you get a button to show/hide these icons.
>
> Let me know what you think about it.

i do see that it doesn't follow the coding style in kdebase/kicker/HACKING.

i'd also prefer it if the dialog used a Qt designer file. yes, it's a very
simple UI but i'm trying to discourage the addition of more hand-coded stuff
there.

the button that appears in the system tray is rather ugly, too =) we'd have to
find something that not only looks a bit nicer but also is visually distinct
from the the tray icons themselves.

one these things are addressed i'm ammenable to this being added to the
systray.

> > btw, sometime before 3.2 or 3.1 i implemented the ability to
> > hide/autohide icons in the system tray. but because the systray doesn't
> > actually control the icons they would re-appear at the controling
> > application's whim and do other crazy and annoying things.
>
> Do you have an example which causes this ?

i forget the exact cases i discovered, but then i was doing something a bit
more ambitious than simply "don't EVER show this icon" ;-) we can implement
the "don't ever show" stuff today and do the automatic fancy stuff later when
the systray protocol is more expressive.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Society is Geometric