List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: {HELP} Non ISO-8859-1 font names
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-10-15 6:57:36

Lars Knoll wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 October 2004 14:08, Kuba Ober wrote:
>
>>On wtorek 12 październik 2004 03:03 am, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>>
>>>I keep getting questions about fonts with names that are not ISO 8859-1
>>>encoded.
>>>
>>>I need to know how Qt and/or KDE handles font names that are not ISO
>>>8859-1 encoded.  I would be happy to read up on this, but don't have any
>>>idea where to look for information.
>>
>>I guess the source code is your only friend :(. Qt source for starters.
>

> Actually fontconfig and freetype sources. We currently just use whatever we
> get from fontconfig which is the english name. I don't really remember if
> this was a missing feature of freetype or fontconfig.

So, if a web site has a CJK font name like:

http://www.linuxsir.org/bbs/

where the first (only good font choice) has a CJK character name -- and worse it
is in gb2312, KDE is going to have problems with it.

In any case, FireFox displays this fine and Konqueror KHTML doesn't, and I'm not
sure exactly why.

--
JRT