List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Bug 37780
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-09-27 23:37:59

Josef Weidendorfer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Monday 27 September 2004 02:51, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>I believe that the bug as filed has been fixed, and therefore I have closed
>>it.
>

> In generally, I think it is better to keep bug reports open until all the
> reporters can reproduce that the bug is fixed for them, or they can see for
> themself that KDE is not the cluprit (perhaps by guidance from KDE people).
> It only makes KDE users unhappy to see their reports being closed without them
> being fixed. Unfortunately, with this policy bugs seem to be difficult to
> close :-(
>
> Especially in this case, the behaviour depends on so much configuration
> issues, that I'm sure no single person can prove that the bug is fixed.
> That said, I can not reproduce it, too. I can remember that konqueror used to
> keep watching closed directories to be able to faster open them again.
>
> Issues possibly involved:
> * The watching method of KDE (either regularily polling with stat(),DNotify or
> FAM)
> * If using FAM, the method of how the fam daemon is watching: Either stat() or
> DNotify, or ...
> If DNotify is used, it needs to have open the directory being watched.
> if that is true, it depends on the file system being used if unmounting is
> still possible: E.g. Suse9.1 uses subfs for removable media per default. This
> has persistent mounts all the time even if there is no media in the drive.
> Perhaps otherwise it depends on the actual mount method like automount,
> supermount, ...
>
> As these configuration options all are distribution dependent, I would never
> close such a bug report myself ;-)

This bug is quite old -- the original reporter was using RedHat 7.2.

The specific bug that he reported was fixed, so the bug was closed.

Unfortunately, the bug now contains a lot of other comments.  Normally, there
would be two ways to proceed:

1.	Close the bug and open a new one for the new problem.

2.	'Hijack' the bug and give it a new title reflecting the new bug that
	still exists.

I have already opened another bug for the new bug that I found and could reproduce.

The problem is that I really don't know what the problem is and a bug that isn't
reproducible isn't much use to anybody.

So, in this case I do not know how it would be best to proceed since we don't
have a reproducible bug test case and we don't even know if it is a KDE problem.
  The only thing we know for sure is that the workaround is to NOT use an
automounter.

I was hoping that someone with an automounter could provide me with a good test
case, and detailed configuration information.

--
JRT