List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Volume Manager - broken behaviour on KDE 3.3.0 to do with
From:       "=?iso-8859-1?Q?J=E9r=F4me_Lodewyck?=" <lodewyck () clipper ! ens ! fr>
Date:       2004-09-16 8:26:41

<quote Auteur="Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton">
> From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl@lkcl.net>
> To: kde-devel@mail.kde.org
> Subject: KDE Volume Manager - broken behaviour on KDE 3.3.0 to do with
> kio_device_slave
>
> hi,
>
> i need some help.
>
> in the kdenonbeta there is a program kvm.
>
> it works with HAL (hardware abstraction layer) to notify YOU
> of cameras, floppy drives, usb pen drives etc, not the other
> way round.

Cameras are not yet supported. They will be as soon as I can have HAL
detect mine ;)

> the code in mountAndRedirect() wanders happily through its
> logic going, "split the URL into device and path, then
> look up the second component of
> "/org/freedesktop/device/SCSI_Block_8_0_0" well... that'll
> be "freedesktop".

This "/" issue has been fixed in current CVS

> it gets worse, of course - once you get into finding that
> the mountpoint doesn't start with "file:/" and it's not
> mounted.

This is a fondamental problem of mountAndRedirect. Kévin Ottens (aka
ervin) is working on this issue. Meanwhile, you still can use kvm :
- do not replace the mountwatcher by kvolumanager
- or do not use devices:/ to mount your floppy disks (other media are
automounted by kvm, so mounting is not an issue)

Jérôme Lodewyck