List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: dcop and remote KDE applications
From:       Koos Vriezen <koos.vriezen () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2004-08-28 12:02:20

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 11:07:54AM +0200, Koos Vriezen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't see remote KDE applications, both with 'ssh -X host kapp' and using
> 'DISPLAY=xxx:0 kapp', in my output from dcop, running on the local machine
> where the startkde is executed. I did found a --dcopserver option, but
> what should I specify here, if it should be used of course (obviously
> local/myhost:/tmp/.ICE-unix/dcop123-1234 want help, no?).

Anyone, a link to docs would be sufficient?

I've been playing with socat (pretty cool tool btw.), like
local:
  socat tcp4-listen:8088,reuseaddr unix-connect:/tmp/.ICE-unix/dcop123-1234
  ssh -C -X -R8088:127.0.0.1:8088 user@rhost
remote:
  socat unix-listen:/tmp/mysock tcp4:localhost:8088,reuseaddr
  kapp --dcopserver 'local/rhost:/tmp/mysock'
(btw, inet does not work 'Open: Unable to find transport for inet' is
what I get, do I need to pass dcopserver an option for this .. probably
insecure..)
but I get
 DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Authentication Rejected,
 reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported
 and host-based authentication failed
 DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Could not open network socket
 DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Could not open network socket
 DCOPServer self-test failed.
 kdeinit: DCOPServer could not be started, aborting.
 DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Could not open network socket
It even managed to frustrate my local DCOP, as non of the kapp wants to
start anymore:
 Could not start process Cannot talk to klauncher
Interesting btw, if the above would work, I got even klaunch a local
process on the remote box with kdeinit_wrapper.
My next guess would be to create a compatable .ICEauthority on the
remote box, but how?