List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: DOUBLE RIGHT-CLICK!!!
From:       Maurizio Colucci <seguso.forever () tin ! it>
Date:       2004-08-19 13:09:22

On Thursday 19 August 2004 14:23, Christopher Layne wrote:
> I couldn't resist this.
>
> Have you ever played piano?
>
> While a single button is more "simple" it just places more dependency on a
> single finger.  So dumb down the requirement for motor skills because it's
> "too complex?" There's a lot of distance 3 or even 4 fingers could make use
> of - and we should be interested in both simplicity, efficiency, and speed.
>
> A basic user is not forced to use all buttons available. But I think it's
> rather lame to dumb down an input interface, using a single finger only,
> when it could be so much more utilized.

Very true, but how many years does it take to learn piano?
A requirement of desktop environments is to have near zero learning time, so
your analogy is surely inspirational but wrong.

To answer to other posts, I don't propose to remove the right click in
general, but only for context menus, where it does not improve speed in a
significant way (because wired infrared mouse are more precise, and it
becomes easier to travel to a visible menu than to switch hand and wait for
your brain to focus a popup menu).

Mau