List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: integrating virtual reality into KDE
From:       dirk.schoenberger () sz-online ! de
Date:       2004-08-12 10:51:42

> Yes, that's most likely true... thinking of KDE as a "desktop environment"
> which is actually what it is. Also what came to my mind is that
> kdeextragear
> or something would have been better anyway (to start with at least). But
> it's
> true that currently it's out of scope of a desktop environment.
>
> Anyway, this system will most likely provide an interface for KDE itself,
> so
> it would be possible to work on "computers" inside this VR, which would
> then
> lead to a real 3D desktop environment. But that's still some time away.

I am not really thrilled by having a virtual computer in a VR environment.
Having a VR representation of a "folder", i.e. a kio slave view, however....
Especially if I could also have "tools / actions" associated to a "file"
visualized in 3D.
One more reason to "ioslavify" everything, I believe - mailboxes, address
books, computer settings, connectivity (i.e. things like the DIalupu
network in Windows)...

Regards
Dirk