List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: "new" science application - is it worth a dot article?
From:       Raphael Langerhorst <raphael-langerhorst () gmx ! at>
Date:       2004-07-26 9:41:46

On Monday 26 July 2004 10:36, Sebastian Stein wrote:
> Raphael Langerhorst <raphael-langerhorst@gmx.at> [040726 10:19]:
> > The basic question I have is, whether it's worth to write a dot article.
>
> Even you don't get a dot article, would you please post an URL to your
> project here?
>
> Sebastian

Hello again,

... ok, I didn't post any references to the project, I actually wanted to do
this with the announcement tomorrow, but if you are really interested in the
project, here is some information:

1) mailing list:
http://www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/list.fcgi?list_id=4383

2) website:
http://www.g-system.at  [it's "international"]

Please note that the homepage will fully be set up by tomorrow (or this
evening).

3) subversion repository:
svn co svn://anonymous@svn.g-system.at/G

4) the demo:
if you build the whole project (see INSTALL), you get a gdemo file in the bin
directory. If you DON'T want to install it in /usr/local, you should set the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable to point to the lib directory of your checkout. The
demo itself is currently only meant to test the core infrastructure of the
system and currently doesn't have much to do with evolution... but it's nice
to watch ;)  (IMO) also make sure you have enabled 3D acceleration, otherwise
it will be slow.
For BSD users: I tried to get it running on FreeBSD (I have a FreeBSD, a ROCK
Linux [my development machine] and a SuSE Linux at home for testing) but
there is no screen output on FreeBSD, but it compiles ok, so development
itself should work nicely on BSD systems.

If you actually want to find out if the project is something for you, I would
suggest you sign up on the mailing list and say hello, also post in what area
you would like to help (see "README" and "doc/G Internals") and what your
skills are. As the project covers a wide range of technology (from grid
computing to artificial intelligence and 3D programming, but also something
like writing a nice KDE interface,...) I think it's likely that there is
something for you. Just drop in on the mailing list and we will see.

Regards,
Raphael