List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [patch] to add "close on click" functionality to konqueror
From:       Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl () lkcl ! net>
Date:       2004-07-19 13:38:00

> ,
>
> The whole idea sounds interesting.
>
> But something is worrying me a little in you patch.
>
> +	if (KonqFMSettings::settings()->alwaysNewWin() &&
> +	    KonqFMSettings::settings()->clickExit())
>
> I don't understand why the "exit on click" works only if the "always new
> win"
> is activated too...
>
> IMHO it should be :
> +	if (KonqFMSettings::settings()->clickExit())
>
> When you "exit on click" you have to exit and to open a new win in any
> case...

dear kevin,

let me think this through...

i figured that if you clicked on an folder, it opened
up the directory [in the existing window because you had
alwaysNewWin=False] and then it immediately closed the window
[your newly opened directory view] that this would confuse the
stuffing out of users and cause them to raise a bug "konqueror
exits inexplicably whenever i click on an icon" by the hundreds.

in the case where you're running a program.... ah, yes.

yes i see what you mean.

so, the logic should be:

 if (KonqFMSettings::settings()->alwaysNewWin() &&
 fileItem->isDir())
 {
 	blah blah

	if clickExit()
	{
		make_the_parent_window_close();
	}
 }
 else
 {

	if [pseudo-code-is-an-executable-program()] && clickExit()
	{
		make_the_parent_window_close();
	}
 }

where i will need to know how to test for a url being an executable
(help!  code examples - please!)

and i also need to know how to do linking of URLs to the main
window's "quit()" slot.

hm, if it's _this_ conditional (above) i.e. it's dependent on the
type of icon, then i don't honestly see how linking the icon unless
it's on a per-icon basis to "quit()" of main window is going to help.

eek!

okay.

what code would i need to use in order to "access" the parent main
window from a KonqDirPart instance?

please tell me i'm not going to have to add an argument to
KonqDirPart - the main window - please tell me i can do some
code-invocational-magic involving the parent arg of
KParts::ReadOnlyPart( parent, name).

l.