List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Patch for aligning the text on websites justify
From:       "Gary L. Greene, Jr." <greeneg () arklinux ! org>
Date:       2004-07-05 17:50:13

On Monday 05 July 2004 10:27 am, Nicolas Bellm wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 4. Juli 2004 22:43 schrieb Esben Mose Hansen:

> > > This is incorrect behaviour for Konqueror to have. If a webmaster
> > > doesn't justify the page, the browser _should not_ make assumptions to
> > > do so. If applied to the tree, this will make Konqueror inconsistant to
> > > W3C specifications.
> >
> > Besides, the effect is easily achieved with the user stylesheets: Create
> > file containing:
> >
> > * { text-align: justify }
> >
> > and select this file in Configure Konqueror, under stylesheets, "Use
> > user-defined stylesheet".
> >
> > The user-defined stylesheet are a really excellent way to modify the page
> > layout on pages with sub-optimal layout. Here are two of my favorites:
> >
> > A[href] { text-decoration: underline ! important }
> > * { font-family: serif ! important }
> >
> > The first one forces underlining of links (some web authors think they
> > look ugly and people should instead hunt the links with the mouse)
> >
> > The second overrides all custom fonts. I only wish I was able to map all
> > monospace to another font, but the above works fairly well. The
> > !important makes the user stylesheet override author-css.
>
> But in some websites the text ist centered with <p align="center"> and this
> text will also be justified (Google for example) and this looks very ugly.
>
> @Gary
> Many webmasters don't know that it is possible to align text on webpages
> justify. I don't think that the webdesigners absolutely want that the text
> on their webpages is justify. I think rather that the webdesigners are too
> stupid to align text justify, maybe they don't know css.
> I know that this will cause incorrect behaviour. For that reason I made a
> checkbox, which is by default switched off, for to switch this setting on
> and off.

If webmasters are uninformed about how to set a page justified, it is not the
browsers job to change the formating of the layout of pages to cope for them
not doing it for them. I'd rather have konqi render pages more accurately to
the html than bring a new non-standards rendering option to the table. While
good that you're disabling this by default, it allows people to override the
layout that teh webmaster devised, which is fully acceptable mark-up.

> @Thomas
> I don't think that this will be possible because the behaviour of Konqueror
> will be changed too heavily. We can only hope that the webdesigners will
> become more intelligent.
>
> Nicolas

> >> unsubscribe <<

- --
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from uriel.tolharadyne.net
 13:43:14 up 1 day, 23:14,  3 users,  load average: 0.20, 0.11, 0.03
Volunteer developer for the Ark Linux Project
 check out http://www.arklinux.org/ for more info.
 Also http://www.csis.gvsu.edu/~greeneg/
EMAIL : greeneg@arklinux.org