List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: freetype2 detection
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-06-22 7:15:17

Ferdinand Gassauer wrote:
> Hi!
> How can I tweak the detection process of libfreetype to read/check /usr/local
> before /usr ?
>
> IMHO a question of the kde detection path
>
> I always install additional and/or newer software in /usr/local to not corrupt
> the isntalled system.

You shouldn't need to do that.  What you MUST do is be certain that you only
have one: "libfreetype.so" link on your system.  That is what the linker uses to
determine which one to use.  If you have more than one, delete the old ones, or
if you have old versions of the libraries installed from RPMs, uninstall the old
'devel' packages.

This should, but might not, fix the problem.

OTOH, unless you have some sort of version dependency, you shouldn't need the
old versions and could remove them.  In any case, you shouldn't have more than
one link named: "libfreetype.so.6" on your system since it will cause problems
at run time -- how are you determining that LD.SO will find the one that you want?

--
JRT