List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Adding improved file search to KDE
From:       Cyrille Berger <cyb () lepi ! org>
Date:       2004-06-16 8:31:00

> (1) We get notified when a file is modified. There is no way to do this at
> the kernel level (yet!) but the KDE API allows us to put our own hooks in.
> Most applications will use the KDE API to load and store files.
>
> (2) We browse the filesystem, keeping resource usage to a minimum, looking
> for modified files.
There is an other way, we can let the filesystem do the job of keeping
informations up to date. My first thought was that it would be very difficult
to do that, but ReiderFS4 will ship a very interesting feature : plugins. And
I believe we can write a plugin that will do the job. Unfortunately it is
limited to one filesystem, but as it looks very promising, it shouldn't be
much of a problem.

--
--- Cyrille Berger ---