List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kde, xfree & RAM
From:       Damien Uern <morpheus_2606 () internode ! on ! net>
Date:       2004-06-10 12:35:48

Here's a relevant article posted today at osnews.com

" The Fast-Food Syndrome: The Linux Platform is Getting Fat"

How could KDE be made to have a "light weight" configuration? Sure you can
turn various GUI effects off, but what else? I've got a PR233 with 96MB of
RAM (as a spare, not my main computer), and it runs ICEWM fine. But I'm not
sure about KDE (I haven't tried it since I upgraded the RAM).

Even on my 1.4GHz Athlon with 512MB RAM and Konqueror preloaded, the launch
times of various things and the login time for KDE is pretty slow. Not *that*
much slower than win2000, but noticeable (especially drawing speed, but I
suspect that is XFree86's fault).

What speeds are the machines KDE devs are running? Do the distributors slow
the desktop down with sub-optimal configurations? If so, could we create a
KDE "reference distribution" that shows off how fast and tightly integrated
KDE can be? Can we re-use konqueror more rather than creating new
applications? (e.g. menu editor, control centre).  Would that provide memory
gains?.

Cheers,

Damien

P.S: I love KDE; I wouldn't have spent a week getting it to compile on Solaris
if I didn't :)

- --
"This is Vergon 6." -Professor
 "Buh." -Amy
 It's a sunny little doomed planet, inhabited by a number of frisky little
doomed animals." -Professor