List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Networking in General (was Re: Modem Interaction)
From:       Damien Uern <morpheus_2606 () internode ! on ! net>
Date:       2004-06-02 11:53:37

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 09:03 pm, Laur Ivan wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 June 2004 12:20, Alain-Serge Nagni wrote:
> > Thanks for the info. I looking for a way to create an internet connection
> > from my code.
>
> afaik you can trigger ppp from external code when an internet connection is
> required. you might get it running through kinternet/kppp with dcop but I'm
> not sure... imo you should look into that code to see how they do it :)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Laur

There should be a common library for bringing up and shutting down network
interfaces with KDE; probably tie in with HAL from freedesktop.org. A dcop
call to something should bring up the dialup or network connection dialog for
initiating a connection (should the app wish for it to be interactive)... I'm
thinking along the lines of applications in windows being able to bring up
the Dial Up Networking interface.

Perhaps kppp should be a component back end able to be used by another system.
A network configuration tool, where one can monitor and configure existing
interfaces (e.g. change the IP address of eth0, set it to dhcp, etc) as well
as create new interfaces (e.g. create a new dialup connection).

Things like network link monitors can tie in with this system (a daemon) which
exposes stuff on dcop (or whatever) for starting/stopping interfaces and
monitoring various properties like data throughput, etc.

Damien

--
 Leela: Zoidberg!
 Zoidberg: Sorry, you must have been boring.