List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDM logout animation
From:       Damien Uern <morpheus_2606 () internode ! on ! net>
Date:       2004-06-01 9:37:18

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 11:04 am, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 01:46:47AM +0200, Gerold J. Wucherpfennig wrote:
> > (I couldn't find out who's the current maintainer of KDM)
>
> yeah, because it's so exceedingly hard to accomplish. ;-)
> anyway, you're looking for ksmserver, not kdm.
>
> on the subject itself, let me quote a previous mail exchange with Benoit
> Walter <b.walter@free.fr> (who changed the effect "recently") ...
>
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 04:00:10PM +0100, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > sorry to tell ya, but this new effect is _creepingly slow_ here. the
> > stipple effect was accelerated on any halfways useful hardware at
> > least.

Have any of you seen SUSE 9.1's logout animation? I've only used the LiveCD,
but it's really cool. It just makes all the background black and white. Runs
really fast here using the open source nv driver, 1.4GHz athlon.

I think that is pretty much the best solution, it looks really classy, and
runs pretty fast (and the code is already out there :).

> On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 05:56:40PM +0100, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 05:43:41PM +0100, Benoit Walter wrote:
> > > I have just checked it on a remote session and it is actually slow
> > >
> > > :-(
> > >
> > > But at least it should not block the UI (which was the case with the
> > > old effect).
> >
> > the effect should be orthogonal to the code using it, no?
> >
> > > I know there is a curtain effect but it does not look that ugly,
> > > does
> > > it?
> >
> > it's annoying. it does not really block the ui, but it "blocks" the
> > user.
> >
> > > The stipple effect is very bad for LCD displays (at least for a few
> > > laptops),
> >
> > yeah ... on some crts it causes moire patterns.
> >
> > > I don't know if it would be feasible to check at run-time if the
> > > performance will be good enough, otherwise I will try a new
> > > solution.
> > >
> > > Do you have another idea?
> >
> > config option. buahahaha.
> >
> > try experimenting with other effects, maybe. dunno.
>
> greetings

Damien

--
 "Who would have though hell would really exist? And that it would be in New
Jersey?" -Leela