List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Makefiles
From:       Sascha Cunz <scunz () ng-projekt ! de>
Date:       2004-05-30 14:53:58

Hi Nathan,
On Sunday 30 May 2004 16:28, Nathan Toone wrote:
> Are Makefiles generated when running make -f Makefile.cvs or
> during ./configure?  That is, if I add/remove an entry from a Makefile.am
> file, which command (or both) do I need to run in order to regenerate my
> Makefiles correctly?

Makefiles are generated by configure. configure is created by Makefile.cvs.
So: if you just change a Makefile.am running configure might be enough.

If you add a directory, configure needs to know about that and be recreated.
So in this case you would need to run Makefile.cvs first.

If you change the libraries you link against - or some other stuff in the
auto-tools area (m4 files i.e.), configure needs to be rebuild too.

Hope this clearifies a bit.

Cheers Sascha